Innovations in Development, Education and the Mathematical Sciences
IDEMS was conceived by Mathematical Scientists, with long term experience working in education and development, who are looking to have a greater impact by leaving academia. Our origins in academia have given us an appreciation of deep understanding and knowledge, which translates into a preference for long term collaborations rather that quick fixes. Our drive for impact leads us to search for practical solutions rather that ivory tower studies.
IDEMS is legally registered in the UK as a Community Interest Company. This structure enables us to be defined by the communities we serve while doing business commercially. Serving a community gives us a sense of purpose beyond our own self interest as individuals or even as a company.
The communities we serve
- The company’s activities will be carried out for the benefit of communities related to the three main areas of the company: development, education and the mathematical sciences.
- Development activities aim to benefit people living below the poverty line.
- Education activities aim to benefit students across all academic levels.
- Mathematical Science activities aim to benefit practitioners and users of the mathematical sciences.
- It is expected that most of the company’s activities will relate to more than one of these areas.
IDEMS has lofty ambitions as defined by its vision and mission. Previous collaborations have demonstrated the potential benefits that well constructed principles bring. Our staffing principles serve to both define and communicate a set of values and responsibilities common to our members. All our principles can offer practical guidance for decision making and we endeavour to consider them at all times.